Lino block printing an apron workshop at The Purbeck Artisan Yard
If you've every fancied trying your hand at textile printing why not give this introductory workshop a go? Join Ailsa Wilson, from Tiny Bird Textiles and Arts University Bournemouth, for a three hour workshop at the Purbeck Artisan Yard. Ailsa will guide you through the key techniques of textile printing, as you print your own apron, using a selection of lino and relief blocks, textile printing inks and pattern play.
Where: The Purbeck Artisan Yard, Church Street, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 4NF
Sunday 13th May
Sunday 20th May
Time: 10am-1pm (with a quick comfort break midway through)
Level: Beginners (no previous creative skills are required)
What's included: The workshop includes all textile-printing inks, paper, practice calico, use of ready-made printing stamps, protective gloves and a ready-made adult sized natural, untreated cotton apron.
Number of students: 6 (minimum 4 students, maximum 6, minimum age 11, booked with an accompanying adult).
What to bring: An old apron or overall that it wouldn't be a disaster to get printing ink on, an old cloth to wipe your hands on and refreshments for the break.
Workshop detail: Explore Pattern & Print - Introduction to lino-block printing for textiles, applied to an apron.
- The workshop will provide an introduction to textile-printing inks and lino printing methods, basic pattern repeats, how to build a pattern design using separate design motifs.
- You will have the opportunity to experiment with inks and stamps, using ready-carved and mounted lino blocks and relief stamps from Ailsa's existing collection, including geometric shapes, flowers and leaves (no lino cutting in these sessions).
- You will initially be printing onto paper, to practice inking and placement technique, then onto plain cotton calico.
- You will then plan the design of your apron, printing a mock-up design onto plain newspaper print.
- Once you are happy with your design you will then print your design directly onto the apron provided (1 apron provided per person).
- We will finish with a quick tidy up and have the opportunity to share and celebrate students' aprons.
How to book: Book and pay for your place using the drop-downs above, selecting date and number of places required. Due to limited spaces, booking is essential.
Please click through here to read further Information and Terms and Conditions before booking.